HIPAA compliance can seem complex and overwhelming. However, this is where managed IT services with expertise in HIPAA compliance can help. They ensure your healthcare or industry-related business has IT at quality standards.
Here we will look at the various ways managed service providers can help you with compliance, keep you current with technical issues, and ensure your HIPAA data is secure and private.
What is HIPAA?
HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that provides for transferred and continued health coverage. The law reduces healthcare fraud and abuse by mandating industry-wide standards for private health information protection and confidential handling.
Who Must Follow HIPAA Regulations?
Regulations require healthcare providers and organizations to follow exact procedures to ensure confidentiality and security of protected health information (PHI). This Act is for any information you transfer, receive, manage, or share, including paper, oral, electronic, etc. The law refers to those organizations that must comply with HIPAA as “covered entities.” These entities are:
- Health plans
- Most health care providers, such as doctors, clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, and pharmacies
- Health care clearinghouses
- Covered entities’ business associates that use personal health information (PHI)
What is Managed HIPAA Compliance?
With the many compliance regulations associated with HIPAA, you need someone to keep track of data safely. Frequently, organizations believe they are HIPAA compliant but don’t have the adequate IT expertise to realize where they might have inconsistencies.
Expert managed service providers trained in compliance issues can help you and your organization with the knowledge and resources necessary to maintain compliance and safety. As professionals in IT, they can help you manage your databases and cybersecurity.
How Do Managed IT Services Work with HIPAA Compliance?
Managed IT services can be outsourced resources for a health organization. If you are a larger entity with an in-house IT team, an outsourced MSP can tackle HIPAA compliance head-on while your other team manages the daily operations issues.
However, small companies that cannot afford an in-house team can hire managed IT services that fit their organization’s needs and budget. HIPAA compliance is not the area to scrimp and save, as a data breach could cost you your business.
Benefits of Managed IT Services
There are numerous benefits to using managed IT services when it comes to HIPAA compliance. These benefits can help you cut down on cost, have a more flexible workforce, and have knowledgeable technical support, all while knowing your company is up to code. These benefits include:
- More Resources: A HIPAA-compliant managed service provider has the resources to keep up to date with the latest legislation.
- Current Technologies: Managed service compliance is not only about worker flexibility, cost, and resources but keeping up with current technologies and ensuring they are compliant.
- Distributed Information: Managed IT services help organizations distribute their PHI data. Keeping data in one place where cyberattacks or other incidents may occur is risky. Using managed IT services creates redundant copies of the information saved offsite and held secure.
- Cybersecurity: Managed IT services that offer HIPAA compliance services can help with cybersecurity and prevent threats to organization data. These services can often better adjust to emerging cyber threats that develop and threaten HIPAA compliance.
Contact Novustek Today!
If you work in healthcare, you should be 100% sure your company or practice is HIPAA compliant. Contact Novustek today to find out if your organization is appropriately following regulations!